How can you go wrong when using lemons to make lemon bars? I mean, helloooo, the best of both worlds here. A buttery cookie crust topped with creamy bright yellow lemon filling. Oh my…. Sunshine in a bar!
I’ve always liked lemon bars, always! While some kids turned up their noses to these bright yellow bars, I was the kid that took 2 or 3. I think it all started with my grandmother, at Thanksgiving she would always, I mean always, make a lemon meringue pie. Thanksgiving was unheard of without her famous yellow lemon pie!
Back to these lemon bars…they are super easy, and taste super creamy! I made these for our friends last time they were over for dinner, and the whole pan disappeared! I was lucky to even get some photos before they disappeared! Of course egg yolks and butter lend a hand, but the lemons are the super star. There is nothing worse than a bland lemon bar, so when in doubt, add extra! I always do :)
- For the crust:
- 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 C ( 2 sticks) of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- For the filling:
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 C sugar
- 1/4 C plus 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour
- 1 C freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray for melted butter.
- To make the crust, whisk the flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium for about 3 minutes. Mixture should be light in color and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and mix, reduce speed to low and add the dry ingredients scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Dough should be slightly crumbly.
- Place dough into prepared pan, and smooth out with your fingers. Press slightly up the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until lightly brown.
- Make the filling while the crust is baking.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, and flour together.
- Stir in the lemon juice and zest, milk and salt.
- After the crust is done, lower the temp to 325 degrees.
- Pour the lemon filling over the hot crust and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool at room temperature before cutting bars. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Makes about 12 large bars.